Sneak Preview of “Concept Two”
“Concept 2” – Subcompact Crossover Five-passengers EV
Advantages over other vehicles:
1) Possibility of being mass-produced for about $10k. after government incentives with advanced lead-acid batteries included, max speed of 80 m.p.h. (128 km.h.) and a range of approximately 75mi. (120 km.) Versions with Lithium batteries with 130 mi. ( 200+ km.) range could be also available for about $30,000.
2) Ability of have its depleted battery pack exchanged to a charged one in a couple of seconds at a dedicated car-wash type automated recharging station (Concept 3), or in a couple of minutes on a roadside assistance session with a AAA truck equipped with a novel crate (Concept 4) carrying a freshly charged power-pack inside it.
3) Ability of traveling wireless indefinitely on a dedicated highway lane, or “DualMode” highway (Concept 5) even without carrying batteries or any other onboard energy storage device, plus having its batteries recharged on the way (if any). Should this concept materializes, we wouldn’t have any problem on obtaining widespread adoption for the concept vehicle. Besides its affordable price, low carbon footprint, economical maintenance, etc., who wouldn’t want to save also on energy bills plus have extra time of sleep every weekday morning, drive and ride his or her own car to work while texting, checking their e-mails, video chatting or simply relaxing on the novel commuting convoy high-speed system? Studies find a flow of over 20,000 “Concept 2” vehicles @ 75 m.p.h. as opposed to 2,500 per hour on a conventional petrol powered highway lane. It will also make a solid contribution to unclog highway traffic without having to resort to expensive lane duplications or embark on other price prohibitive alternatives like high speed commuter trains, etc. Solar panels and wind turbines installed on the way would make the novel system virtually pollution free and independent from the main grid.
4) Due to its unique design, although measuring only 2.4 m. (8’) in length, it will accommodate five adults comfortably and able to spin around its own vertical axis = maneuverability of a forklift and no more “jammed” in between two cars. Two would fit inside a regular parking spot.
5) Very simple architecture (U.S. Patent Pending) with three basic parts that could be transported in conventional trailers or maritime containers and put together right at the dealership, or any chain store with a couple of service bays in its premises.
6) An average of 55 semi-assembled “Concept 2” concepts EVs. would fit inside an 8’x10’x53′, 45# into an 8’x9’x53′ trailer and 36# inside a maritime 40′ container.
7) No more need for assembly plants scattered all over the world, fancy dealership costs,
huge stock parking lots or dedicated fancy tractor-trailers carrying no more than nine vehicles either.
8) Handicap driver & passenger friendly. As the vehicle has a dead flat floor and a remote controlled rear gate, the suspension could be lowered to the ground, they would ramp up from the back of the vehicle parked perpendicular to the sidewalk, and drive it away. In fact, it is short enough to stay legally parked that way, or head-on.
9) Novel futuristic driving interface provides full command of the vehicle plus IT, “Qwerty” keyboard and infotainment controls all at driver’s fingertips. (Pedals are optional).
10) Novel progressive ratio system would provide lock-to-lock steering with only half a turn of the new futuristic driving interface, as opposed to three and a half on conventional steering wheels.
11) Self-adjustable as well as selective ground clearance suspension system eliminating the need of parking brakes, plus making it very difficult (if not impossible) to be stolen.
12) Novel electronic sensor monitoring hydraulic pistons placed on each wheel in order to correct dynamic distortions of the ride as well as taking over shock absorbers and stabilizing bars anti-sway and anti-roll functions respectively.
13) Unobstructed full size LED flat screen replacing outdated dashboard gauges, showing also GPS guidance and rear view images. (No more need to turn your head sideways or around to check your blind spots and/or side mirrors even when backing up)
14) Outdoors cameras replacing rear-view mirrors covering also all blind spots.
15) Smooth and quiet ride comparable to full size electric or hybrid sedans.
16) Range anxiety free; if everything goes wrong you could call AAA and they will come over with a novel equipment (concept 4) carrying a freshly charged pack with a mechanism to switch your battery container in a few minutes, wherever you are.
17) Flat anxiety free also, with no spare tire, jack or expensive tire pressure sensors onboard. You could feel when one of the tires is flat and will keep on driving to the next service station. (The concept vehicle has eight “donuts” on) There is also a possibility of using worry free solid tires, as the novel suspension system fully insulates the cabin from the bumps of the road much more than conventional systems using regular shock absorbers. It will also eliminate the drawbacks of unsprung weight effects, common in vehicles with electric motors installed inside the hub of the wheels.
18) Very easy to maintain, as it will have very few moving parts as compared to gasoline vehicles. In fact the drive train could be exchanged or upgraded in the same quick manner as changing a tire. First scheduled maintenance in about 40,000 miles (63,000 km) to check brake pads/shoes, tires, wiper blades, etc. Power train, over 100,000 miles.
19) Novel wide wheel system provides plenty of room for electric hub motors as well as hardware for an unprecedented braking capability.
20) Safer on collisions, as occupants are not sharing level space with any heavy mass hardware like in all other automobiles; they are all in the “basement” like in most transit vehicles, where you don‘t really need seatbelts, airbags, etc. Side collisions are neutralized by the rock solid battery pack. Virtually impossible to roll over, as the power-pack’s weight places the center of gravity very close to the ground. Compatibility on level of collision with all segments of vehicles of this project, including large trucks and buses.
21) Occupants will be safer and rescue officers at ease to work on an accident scene involving a “Concept 2” vehicle, as all high voltage cables, batteries, posts, motors, controllers, connectors, etc. will always be confined within the boundaries of the “basement” of the vehicle, which is fully isolated from the passenger’s cabin and protected by a firewall under the floor.
22) Able to become a unit of a novel modular transit system with proper modifications just on the body section. “Concept 2.1” will have front and rear gates instead of side doors, will accommodate six passengers each intercommunicating with other units wireless telematics. Other concept vehicles could be created using the same chassis, e.g. a mini towing rig, a mini-truck, van, etc., plus the annual “upgrade” for a fraction of the cost of the ones on conventional automobiles.
23) Could be also used in countries where drivers ride on the left side of the road. Steering interface and digital display screen will go to the right side and back with just a flick of a switch. You could drive it to Dover (England) beyond Calais (France) and back, feeling right all the time.